Wednesday, May 4, 2011

"The Subte in Buenos Aires"


The subway or "Subte" only runs in Buenos Aires Capital. There are in total 6 lines: A to E and H. Line A is the oldest line and they are currently building a new line which will run from Line A to the Retiro neighborhood.


Line A is almost a tourist attraction in itself! They still use the old, wooden carriages. Some tourists only use Line A to experience this.


Tourists maps of Buenos Aires include information on the metro system. You will find it displayed on the walls in the metro stations. The Metro stations are marked on the outside at the entrance of the building. Each line has it's own colour for example Line A is in red etc.


You will find the ticket offices or Boleterias inside the metro station. Tickets are not expensive +- 1.50 pesos per ride. You pay per ride and it is not important where you go to.You can also buy tickets in bulk or buy a metro card. If I can remember correctly you can only buy 10 tickets at a time.


The Metro can be very crowded at times and I do suggest you avoid the peak hours if possible. If you really want to experience the Metro, please keep in mind that there are a lot of pickpockets, so be ALERT at all times. 


We decided to try it out. To our surprise there was a girl at the station that was looking at us too much. She looked like she was 16. Two minutes later, a guy in his 40's approached to her and started talking to each other...they both were looking at us too much. 


As soon as we got in to the Subte they kept looking at us and kept following us around.  I know this because I kept moving around just to see if they would too. 


And yes!  They tried to block Scott first and when I saw that happen I knew they wanted to steal from us. So the doors opened and I just told Scott we should get out, leaving the pickpockets behind. They were NOT able to get ANYTHING from us!!!


Because I grew up in Guatemala and unfortunately the crime there is a lot worse than here, I was very ALERT all the time. Still, I didn't like the experience...my heart was beating so fast!!!


After that experience, I don't know how long is it going to take before we get on a Subte again... I really don't want to ride it again. I will stick with Taxis (which are really cheap here!) and I will try the "Colectivos" or buses... we will see. 

2 comments:

  1. You go Bea! Scott you married a good one! =o) I know it must have been a tense moment, but it is all part of the experience. Ojos pelados! que la pasen muy bien!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah you made me laugh so hard Leonor!! Ojos pelados! that is a good one! Yes, it is all part of the experience :-) We miss you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete